[ANN] A Primer on Message Mechanics--you know, 'send'

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Mon Aug 18 20:37:01 EDT 2003

I very much appreciate advice from folks on the list.  Here is a
partial attempt to return the favor.

I am making available to all a stack I call "A Primer on Message
Mechanics".  It is an introduction to the use of send, cancel and
pendingMessages.

It is a little long, but it does start at basics and builds up from
those.  It provides a peek into my style, but I think it is general
enough that you can develop your own style.  Thumb through it a few
coffee breaks and download breaks and you should get a feel for how to
use send.  It does not walk you through building any examples, but it
does have lots of examples, each building on concepts from previous
pages and previous examples.

It is essentially an 88 page booklet with live examples and demos.

I created this on OS X and checked it out on Windows XP and Mac OS 9.
It is designed to be used in the Revolution environment, but I see no
reason why a standalone cannot be built from it--I just haven't tried
it yet.  I have heard that it crashes on Windows ME, but it seems to
work on two other versions of Windows--watch out.  I have no idea how
useful this will be to MC folks.

Many of the examples are flashing indicators and some of those use red.
  If this might be a health problem for you, send me a note before
getting the stack.

If you are new to send and get bogged down, I would appreciate it if
you would try to articulate where I lost you--if you have time and feel
so inclined.  Sometimes I get to thinking something is obvious and
forget all I had to go through to learn it.

If you are an expert in send, please let me know where I have lied.

All, I welcome comment on my style and especially where I have failed
to treat the user with respect.  I think there are still many spelling
errors and I welcome comments on those.  I welcome comment on any goof.

I apologize for saying publicly, "It is coming!" and then taking so
long to get it out.  I risked it being a little belabored to try to
cover all those little preliminary concepts as well as a few advanced
'gotchas'.

You can find "A Primer on Message Mechanics" here:

    <http://www.swcp.com/dsc/revstacks.html>

Enjoy!

Dar Scott