Richmond and copyright

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Mon Aug 18 19:24:01 EDT 2003

> Monte,
>
> This copyright thread was discussed at length on another list regarding
> postings to that list and copyright issues. Their concerns where about
> finding out that there was an archive of all the previous postings. It
> came up that some wanted to change what they had posted several years
> earlier. St John's Maelstrom was going to drop years before 1999
> because the archive database was getting clogged up. I was going to
> make an MTML version of the dropped years so that it would not be lost.
> The final resolution was that if the messages are not changed they can
> be reproduced (republished) outside of the list without concern for
> copyright infringement. So to those that wanted there messages changed
> the answer was no. The archive is public domain as long as it remains
> in its equivalent form, without changing what was said. I forget the
> law that was sited in regard to this but I could search for copyright
> threads from a year ago in that list's archive.
>
> Mark

Mark

My guess (and this is something that we probably shouldn't guess about) is
that the copyright laws of the originating country apply to each individual
post. The copyright over the archive may be another matter as anyone can
archive the list. I can't see that any copyright can be held over a
collection like that. Otherwise art galleries etc would be laughing.

I think this is something that should be considered carefully. How many of
us have handlers that came from this list or Ken Ray's Tips in our apps? I
do. The last thing we need is SCO taking over one of our companies hey!

Regards

Monte