Unable to switch to version 2.

taillade taillade.m at wanadoo.fr
Mon Aug 18 11:41:01 EDT 2003

Le mercredi, 13 aoû 2003, à 21:57 Europe/Paris,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com a écrit :

> Hi Michel,
>
> What i expect is that this problem could be relative to the way the
> Rev/MC 2.5 engine works under MacOSX to reopen 1.1.1 stacks issues, not
> in about your stack it-self.
>
> If needed, i can test your stack under Linux, where there are never
> problems in reopening such kind of stacks. If your problem don't
> happen,
> here, you will then have to fill a request to bugzella. Else i will
> have
> an eye to your code. If you want, send me the stack in a ".zip" or
> ".gz"
> and i will let you know how it goes.
>
> --
> Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

Thank you Pierre for your nice proposition,

In fact I prepared a limited version ( 3 stacks) of my application and
tested it  before to send it to you.
Surprise, it was working on version 2.0., and ... there was no reason
to send it to you.
I returned to the original application which has around 50 identical
stacks and was working  perfectly since 10 years on Hypercard first
and after on
version 1.1.1. and still now ...
These identical stacks are based on a unique start using stack storing
all the handlers and each one has the minimum, just a function, within
"on preopenstack", "on openstack" ....etc  referring to the start using
stack.
Among the fifty identical stacks, I found that 2 were refusing to open
(those who were the most used of course)

You must know that the difficulties were not limited to the
impossibility to open these stacks, in fact each time I  passed through
these stacks  it was followed (sometimes with a delay) by the crash of
the Revolution distribution  which refused to reopen after and stayed
freezed.
Thank to that I had the chance to became one of the best re-loaders
(perhaps in the world) of Revolution version 2  with 300 to 400 reloads
in 3 months.
I asked the technical support for help but they are so slow ... I am
still waiting an answer since near two weeks.

By chance (after 3 months I am not so sure it is chance ..) I noticed
that these 2 stacks were accepting to open when using:
- lock messages
- open stack ....
The way was found, I rewrote the handlers to avoid to use on
preopenstack,  openstack and closestack.
And it works  on version 2.00...

I am happy of course on one side, on the other I am hungry for these
days and days lost.
I am obliged to think that Revolution is far to be as ready as is it
said and I am afraid with the coming version 2.1.

Yes I bought it ..... because it was one potential solution to my
problems.
Thank you Pierre and also Jan  who tried to help me ... and good luck
to those coming from Hypercard or from version 1.1.1.  Who knows ?

Michel Taillade
PS: I have no possibility to be to Apple Expo in september, it is a
pity ... Next year probably.
I was there last year and met Kevin Miller and Frederic Rinaldi ...