Fouled up my menubar - found the problem but it's weird

Barry Levine themacguy at macosx.com
Mon Aug 18 00:12:00 EDT 2003

Turned out the menubar group was "there" but it had no font nor size
set for it. I was able to open the distribution stack (it was not the
main stack) under the Rev IDE and found that, until I set a textFont
and textSize for it, the words did not appear!

I was under the impression that I did not have to specifically assign
fonts/sizes to the various elements that had those properties (like
fields, buttons, etc.). The docs say that setting the textFont property
of the stack sets that particular font for everything else in that
stack that is not already specifically configured otherwise. Am I
misunderstanding this?

I've also seen (in Windows, anyway) that setting the stack's textFont
to Arial and textSize to 12, but leaving the menubar group's
textFont/textSize properties blank, results in the menubar only being a
textSize of 10 (might be 9) in the distribution stack. I've also seen
this kind of inconsistent behavior in other elements (fields, buttons)
in both Mac and Windows; fonts and sizes - even under the same platform
- being set by forces unknown. So I'm thinking that there's got to be
something I'm doing wrong because Rev just couldn't be so capricious
and inconsistent in font handling.

Someone care to whip a little knowledge about this topic in my
direction? Let's assume that my Windows fonts should all be Arial 12 as
a starting point.

Thanks,
Barry