button resize

Andrew alw918 at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 15 14:43:00 EDT 2003

Hey, Revolution list.  I'm new to revolution, but I have much
experience with Hypercard.
I was wondering if you fine folks could give me some tips on how to
deal with images and animation in Revolution.
The main problem that I'm having with Revolution is getting an image's
rect to be the right size.  Say I create a cartoon of a man in
photoshop and I paste him into Revolution.  Then my little man becomes
an "image" in Revolution language.  However, when I paste him in, the
rect of the image is the size of the entire card!  How can I get the
rect of my little man to be exactly the size of him?

Now a slightly more complicated question:
I used to make games in Hypercard by animating the icons of buttons.
The buttons could move around the screen while their icons were
changing simultaneously.  Revolution has me excited because of its
capability to handle large, colorful images.
In trying to animate these images, the only thing I can figure out is
to have a new image for each "frame" of the animation.  Then I would
program the script to hide one image (the first frame) and show the
next image (the second frame) in the same place.  The trouble with this
is the following:  Say every card of the stack is a different "level"
of my game.  Then, I would need a copy of all my little man in all his
poses on every card; that would mean a whole bunch of hidden images
sitting around at the same.  Is there any way to have these images
somehow "belong" to the stack so they could be referenced from any
card?   Is this the best way to do what I'm trying to do, or am I
approaching the animation thing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Andrew