FTP times out, and then all others blocked

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Fri Aug 15 06:21:00 EDT 2003

At 1:10 pm -0400 14/8/03, RGould8 at aol.com wrote:

>I'm trying to create a folder on an FTP server by creating a dummy
>file and then deleting it.  This works, but in some cases the server
>times out.  If I make a subsequent attempt, I get the ³Error
>Previous request not completed². message.  The problem is that the
>previous request was cancelled out due to timing out, so the
>pipeline is never re-opened to accept new commands.  Is there a way
>around this problem?

How are you determining that the server has timed
out? Does the url command return an error in the
result, or are you just guessing this is the case
because nothing has happened for a long time? The
reason I'm asking is that the message "Previous
request not completed" shouldn't occur if the
previous request has already returned a result.
If you're getting this message after the previous
request has completed, then it looks like a bug
in libUrl.

For example, if your script is something like this:

   put "dummy data" into url "ftp://someserver/...../newfolder/dummy.txt"
   if the result is not empty then
      answer ("stage 1" & return & the result)
   else
       delete url "ftp://someserver/...../newfolder/dummy.txt"
       if the result is not empty then
         answer ("stage 2" & return & the result)
       else
         answer "all went well"
       end if
   end if

Are you getting a timeout message at "stage 1" or "stage 2"?
Where are you getting the "Previous message not
completed" error, at stage 1 or stage 2?

Try logging the activity with the libUrlSetLogField command:

    libUrlSetLogfield the long id of field "myLog"

If the log results are very long, you can post
them to me privately instead of the list.

It would also be useful to see the script you are using to do this.

Cheers
Dave