Best way to set up an idle timer

Edwin Gore edgore at shinra.com
Thu Aug 14 17:21:01 EDT 2003

Understand that I have not given this even the slightest bit of thought before posting, but I think you are going to be better off using "send" to do this.

What you are going to want to do is something like this...

global gGoToSleep

on startup
  send timeout in 5X60 seconds --for a 5 minute time out
  put true into gGoToSleep
end startup

on rawkeydown
  put false into gGoTo Sleep
  pass rawkeydown
end rawkeydown

on mousemove
  put false into gGoTo Sleep
  pass mousemove
end mousemove

on timeout
  if gGoToSleep is true then
    -- do go to sleep type stuff
  else
    put true into gGoToSleep
  end if
end timout

I think that should be enough to do it...it's hard to do anything with the mouse without moving, so I think that's all you need to capture.

Of course, I just made this up to avoid really working, so I didn't bother to check syntax or test this. But it should give you some ideas.

You are better off using send, since idle eats up processor time constantly checking. If you wanted to have it go to sleep EXACTLY five minutes after activity stopped, you would need to do some other complicated and boring things with checking the seconds and stuff.

I want to write a routine in my stack that will