RevDB, Linux and PostgreSQL

Rodney Tamblyn rodney_tamblyn at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 14 06:14:02 EDT 2003

Hi Pierre,

I've developed the client application on MacOSX and have tested it
successfully under Windows.  Haven't tested yet under Linux so can't
help there.  The database is running on a separate machine, AFAIK
running PG 7.3 - I believe this is running Linux but can confirm this
if it's of interest ( db was set up by our technical support group).

I agree with you that it would be *fantastic* to be able to use Rev's
built in database functions from command line applications, especially
under Linux.  I believe this is on the list of planned features (can
someone from RR comment on this?). Monte Goulding and I looked into
this a little when we were collaborating on the development of libCGI
(a freebie CGI library and getting started guide for development of
Rev/MC CGI solutions which we will be releasing shortly).  Using psql
via shell() works fine, but it's not very elegant and can't handle
binary data (or if it can I don't know how to do this, perhaps you
could pipe binary data in from a file?).

How is RR's Linux DB support implemented at the moment?  Is it via
externals as is the case for Windows & Mac?  Perhaps Tuviah can comment
more here.

I may open source the project I've developed, as it's a student
exercise rather than a commercial project. May be useful to have a real
world example stack showing how these things are done.

Regards,

Rodney