A Newbie Question on best practices with revolution 2.

Sarah sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Wed Aug 13 18:33:00 EDT 2003

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 04:17  am, Andre Garzia wrote:

> What I want to know is for example what is better, to create substacks
> for each part of the system (like a substack to fiddle with the
> Students, another to fiddle with Professors) or if I just go creating
> cards under mainstack. I'd like to know theory, like when to create
> substacks, how to use Revolution true power, things i could not do
> with another tool. It's just that I think I am doing things the hard
> way (not that is hard to do, but it might there be a easier way).

Basically, I decide this matter based on two questions:
1. Do I want the different displays to be different sizes or shown in
different windows (with more than one window open at a time)?
2. Do I want to save the data in the stacks?

If the answer to either of these questions is Yes, then you will need
sub-stacks. Otherwise, you can go with whatever is most comfortable for
you.

Some points to consider:
upgrading the software - sub-stacks can be upgraded independently with
small downloads.
cross-platform distribution - if you have a mainStack that holds the
platform specific engine, the sub-stacks (if saved separately) are
platform-independent.
workflow - do you want to steer your users so they can't do things out
of sequence, or does it matter if they are editing three different
records at the same time?

There is no "right" way - you just have to go with what you feel is
right for you and your users.

Cheers,
Sarah
sarahr at genesearch.com.au