A tip when using externals and cloning stacks

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Aug 13 12:11:00 EDT 2003

On 8/13/03 8:51 AM, Jan Schenkel wrote:

> Just thought I'd save someone else days of searching
> and experimenting by handing out this tip

remains a perpetual problem. I've found that externals will load fine on
my machine, but not on a client's machine with an identical setup. And
using externals from a substack or a separate stack, as you found,
doesn't always work either. My results with externals have been frustrating.

I've entered an enhancement request into Bugzilla asking that Rev add a
command that will dynamically load externals via script. This would
circumvent all the various problems many of us are having, because we
could choose to load the platform-specific external as needed instead of
relying on the current setup which depends on many factors, such as the
defaultFolder and some kind of magic when a stack opens.

Tuviah has agreed to add this capability in a future version -- which is
great news for me, and which should fix the problem for most of us once
and for all. I hope it gets added soon.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com