Revolution speed sucks?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Aug 12 17:04:01 EDT 2003

Brian Yennie wrote:

> The behavior is as close as possible to the Perl script, since I wanted
> a fair comparison of the engine alone: it reads from a file and writes
> to one in the same manner as the Perl script. It could be sped up by
> using variables and writing the file once, but then it wouldn't be a
> 1-to-1 comparison anymore.

While the interest in fairnes is appreciated, if you're using fields instead
of variables it tilts away from Rev unfairly, as Perl has no rich-text field
objects to contend with.

But even if algorithmically identical, one of the factors in choosing a tool
is to exploit its unique strengths.  For example, for many tasks simple
chunk expressions are far faster than the more generalized RegEx, but chunk
expressions are only found in xTalks (definitely an "unfair" advantage of
Rev over even some 3GLs <g>).

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation