For true beginners

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Aug 11 03:25:00 EDT 2003

Ken Norris wrote:

>> Richard Gaskin's  work on this, with his
>> extensive comments on the why's, where's and how to write scripts to
>> execute no matter what platform you do a build for is just brilliant.
>> As I read through some of the postings here I can sometimes tell when
>> when other people are using "Employe DataBase" as a starting point and
>> if you have to start somewhere it does not get any better than "Employe
>> DataBase".
> ----------
> Yes, I agree, it's probably the best thing going, (many thanks to Richard)

And to Jeanne.  A lot of the detailed comments there were added by her
diligence.

> If we start with the unknown, i.e., 'How Does Rev Work?', and work backwards
> to a known point, i.e., 'Clicking This Button Makes X Happen', then anyone
> will automatically know where they are when they start out.

That's one of the cool things about the User Contributions listing at
<http://www.runrev.com/Revolution1/developercentral/usercontributions.html>.
Just about everythng there can be put to use as soon as its downloaded, but
you can also dig into them and poke around freely -- and if you break
something no worries, just download a fresh copy. :)

> When I taught navigation to Civil Air Patrol cadets, I would start with
> objects moving in space and work down to lines drawn on the earth's surface.
> As I got closer to familiar frames of reference, I could literally watch the
> lights come on in their heads.
<ot>
That's one of the reasons I love the work of Charles and Ray Eames: they had
an unusual knack for communicating scale in understandable terms.  Their
most famous work along these lines was "Powers of Ten"
<http://www.eamesoffice.com/powers_of_ten/powers_of_ten.html>, which
illustrates scales from galactic to subatomic by starting with a person
napping on a lawn and stepping out 10x successively and then stepping in 10x
successively.

With their formal training having been in architecture and 2D design,
they're another great example of how innovations in instructional design can
come from outside the formal instructional design community.
</ot>
--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation