For true beginners

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Sun Aug 10 23:19:01 EDT 2003

Hello Bjornke and others,

> Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 00:10:44 +0200
> Subject: Re: For true beginners
> From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rnke_von_Gierke?= <bvg at mac.com>

> How would it be if we made a kind of homestack  with examples and
> guides, then we present it to the people at RunRev, so they can include
> it into their product?
> I would contribute to that maybe a "HomeStack" yahoo-group could be
> formed?
----------
I see your idea and raise you a couple more. First, I wasn't thinking of
actually make an HC Home Stack look-alike (and I don't think you were
either), but if you mean a stack full of *ready-to-use* samples, buttons,
fields, graphics, windows, UIs, menus, stack templates, with free access to
well commented scripts, then yes, absolutely, I like it.

Plus, you could also include a basic instruction set...the kind that assume
the user hasn't done any real programming before.

This isn't intended to knock Jeanne's wonderful efforts with the docs, but
rather to introduce an earnest first-timer into the world of programming
computers, and help them through the birth pangs.

And also, a toggleing player window which acts like a bot that explains the
basics as it opens itself up to a student, and allows for breaking it down
into parts. A sort of building block version of, say, an address stack.
Something simple they can actually *use* immediately, and modify, i.e., make
more complex, as they go.

You could choose from a list of options that shows the student how to add
and alter it to taste, too.

Just a few more cents worth.

Ken N.