For true beginners

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 9 16:19:00 EDT 2003

On Saturday, August 9, 2003, at 10:13  AM, Ken Norris wrote:

> So, in order to get new beginners truly interested in this venue, I was
> thinking there should be a set of well written, simple, ready-to-use,
> useful, and modifiable stacks, and also puposefully geared to breaking
> them
> down to analyze step-by-step, and modifying them, all done within the
> Free
> Edition. Things like a phone dialer, an MP3 playlist, a graph maker, a
> set
> of stack templates, etc.
>
> I'd be really interested in list feedback on this subject.
>
> Yours truly,
> Ken N.

Ken,

Several months ago I downloaded the free limited version of RR and
proved to myself that I could perfect a fast enough PNLP algorithm that
I was using in Director. With the help of people on this list I was
able to obtain enough advice to do speed testing in Rev for my
algorithm. Several months later I was then able to write my first app,
rev_blowfish.rev, the Blowfish encryption algorithm. Even though I'm
not a beginner, I'm still very new to Revolution. I have the experience
of learning Director. I remember being in the dark with that. It was a
book called "Director Demystified" that got me over the hump of
learning about variables, properties, object oriented programing and
just about everything I know about programing. Before that book I
almost gave up. Even though the programing examples in "Director
Demystified" were written in a book they were so instructive in there
step by step instruction as to help me, a beginner, get started.

So to those out there writing books it might be a good idea to add a CD
with stack examples to the back cover. Personally, I could use a stack
example of file manipulation from a menu, with that example using a
splash screen that saves the opened stack, say for instance a simple
commercial grade text editor application. No, at this time I could not
put one together real fast. I'm still struggling with RR and I'm not
even a beginner.

Mark