use-revolution digest, Vol 1 #1743 - 15 msgs

aj445 aj445 at traverse.lib.mi.us
Fri Aug 8 12:11:00 EDT 2003

>> Dan Shafer writes:
>>
>> <<The real sweet spot market for Revolution, as it was
>> for HyperCard and the other xCard products, is what I have long been
>> referring to as the Inventive User (IU). IUs are people who:
>> 1. Know their computers can do so much more to help them with their
>> work than anyone has yet made them do.
>> 2. Are smart and creative.
>> 3. Can envision the solutions.
>> 4. Are not professionally trained programmers or at least if they were
>> at one point no longer earn their living coding
>> 5. Probably working in a team or workgroup setting where they are the
>> local IT department
>>
>> Those folks -- and there are millions of them -- NEED Revolution.
>> Badly. But they're not going to take the time to tinker and learn the
>> product after opening Revolution and being faced with a blank screen
>> and a bunch of loosely connected floating palettes. Heck, they don't
>> even get a blank stack window let alone a starting point. >>

One way to begin this might be through the education market.  Provide a
small amount of scaffolding within Rev, include a large number of
immediately useful examples which can be studied and modified, and a short
intro booklet.  And include pictures of working programs on the package, so
people see immediately what's possible.

Sandy