"Preview screen" button

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Thu Aug 7 16:18:01 EDT 2003

Hi John,

> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to set up a button as a preview screen in the corner of a
> window, so that when the cursor passes over an area of a map in the
> window, a picture of the item that is represented in that area of the
> map appears on the "preview screen" button. I have made an invisible
> button that covers the area of the map that I am trying to show, and
> have scripted it as follows:
>
> on mouseenter
>   set the icon of button "PreviewButton" to image id 1392
>   set showIcon of button "PreviewButton" to true
> end mouseenter

Try:

on mouseenter
   set the icon of button "PreviewButton" to 1392

  ### You only need the "naked" id number ;-)

   set showIcon of button "PreviewButton" to true
end mouseenter

> When I try to do this, it not only does not work, but the entire Rev
> environment crashes immediately.
> Can anyone replicate this? And more importantly, can anyone tell me
> what I am doing wrong?

If the above still produces grief, then something else might be going
on...

> Ideally, I would like this button in the corner of the window to show
> a different image for whatever
> area of the map the cursor enters (the program is for keeping track of
> a garden and its current plants).

Maybe i don't understand you right, but could you do this with
"invisible" buttons?
I don't mean that literally ;-)

The trick is to use standard buttons, script them the way you want with
"mouseneter", "mouseleave" etc..
and then set the INK of these buttons to "noop"!!! This will make them
invisible to the user but the engine
(and thus the mouse) will act as if they were visible...

Cooooool and handy feature :-)

> Thank you.

Hope that helps.

> Sincerely,