Script Limits and solid IDE evolution!

Barry Levine themacguy at macosx.com
Thu Aug 7 11:40:00 EDT 2003

I've been using Rev since March 30, 2002. I know this because I
subscribed to this list on that date and have saved every eMail since
then (1434 messages including some from the Rev folks "off-list"). I
purchased my license May 15, 2002. That's 46 days until I understood
enough about Rev to draw the links between it and HyperCard to the
extent necessary to make the commitment. That's still beyond the 30
days of the new Evaluation Kit.

What happens when the Eval Kit expires? Are you permitted to
re-download and re-install? Frankly, I'd rather see the 10-script limit
-and- some kind of limitation on apps compiled with the Eval Kit; maybe
printing would have a large "Rev" watermark or the compiled app would
only run for 120 seconds or an obnoxious modal dialog appears every 30
seconds. Perhaps no compiling at all?

Now, RunRev should know enough about its market to determine the best
way to expand its presence. Note I said "should" and not "does". I do
not mean to imply that RunRev is wrong (although my suggestions are
detailed above); rather, that is is incumbent upon the RunRev marketing
folks to do their due diligence and do this right. If they do it wrong,
we're all in trouble.

All the above aside, the bottom line for me is that I await the renewal
licensing structure so I can "re-up". I am pleased with the Rev IDE and
-know- that I would not be developing apps otherwise.

Barry