Crashing during "print card" again - a lesson painfully learned

Barry Levine themacguy at macosx.com
Thu Aug 7 00:55:01 EDT 2003

After the recent problem I reported about visible QT player objects
causing a crash in OSX, Klaus provided me with some code to overcome
this. It involved importing a screenshot of the appropriate area,
centering it over the player object, hiding the player object, printing
the card, deleting the "last image", and showing the player object. I
was developing on WindowsXP at that time so I continued there using
Klaus' workaround. It did resolve the problem.

However, I just brought the stack over from my PC to my Mac (OSX
10.2.6, Rev 2.0.1 - same as on XP). Now it crashes whenever I attempt
to print the card (even though my handler hides the player object).

(lots of code and discussion deleted and replaced with the following:)

Turns out I had another player object containing audio. If had no
border so I had forgotten it was still visible (even though you can't
see it). To Rev, however, it was the same kiss of death as the original
player object; as long as it's visible, it will crash Rev in OSX. I
didn't see the crash in WindowsXP because it doesn't crash there; it
only prints a white space where the player object is. Of course, it
-is- a white space so, in Windows, I didn't know I had a problem
waiting for me when I brought it over for final Mac development. *sigh*

My buddy, Shawn, calls this an EBKAC problem: Error between keyboard
and chair.

Regards,
Barry