GPS systems

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Aug 6 18:29:01 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 04:56 PM, Dar Scott wrote:

> I don't remember if I even sent commands to the GPS, I may have simply
> passively listened to reports.

This is coming back.  A little.  The reports meet NMEA standards.  The
first field determines the data structure.  I think it is GPS for GPS.
You might also get data in other formats.  I think I was able to
convince it to give me raw delay data.  Or maybe that was the GPS
reports.  You might get Loran C reports or others.  I'm pretty sure I
was able to get Lat, Long, and altitude in some report.  I had to do
some filtering and averaging and tossing out of data.  I think.

The commands to change the reports may be non-standard and proprietary.

Look at ship standards, I think.

(Or maybe I dreamed all this; use a clue only.)

Because of the ship-board emphasis on serial, I'm thinking the chance
of the GPS UPS drivers creating a serial view is good.

Dar Scott