GPS systems

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Aug 6 18:03:00 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 04:41 PM, cteno4 wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience with getting GPS data from a GPS unit
> into
> metacard or rev?

No, but I have done it in the past with LabVIEW and serial.

> I'm working on a data collection system for a research
> project and am hoping to grab GPS data from a GPS unit. Noticed that
> many
> of the GPS systems are now going USB and also have not found any info
> yet
> on polling the gps unit to spit out data. I've done a lot of serial
> communications with equipment in metacard, but not GPSs yet.

If it is a serial unit, you should be able to do it.

I don't remember the protocol.  I think I found it online.  I might
have just looked at the reports using a terminal program.  Grab some
GPS and see what you get.  IIRC, it was simple ASCII text, maybe some
comma delimited numbers of some sort.  I don't remember if I even sent
commands to the GPS, I may have simply passively listened to reports.

Because GPS units are migrating from serial to USB, you might find that
their drivers create a virtual serial device.  You should be able to
open that.

Let us know how this works out.

Dar Scott

****