How to examine Rev stacks?

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto jeanne at runrev.com
Wed Aug 6 13:52:05 EDT 2003

At 8:05 AM -0700 8/5/03, Jim Lyons wrote:
>One or more folks here recommended looking inside the Independent Study
>stack in the rev docs for an education in how to write scripts
>correctly. I've been trying for a little while to do that (even checked
>last month's list archive) but with no luck -- if I open the
>revtutorialindep.rev file with no other stacks open, that window comes
>up, but all the inspector menu choices are disabled. What's the trick to
>peeking at the rev doc stacks?

What people have been talking about is actually the Employee Database
example stack - not the tutorial itself, but the example stack that's used
to illustrate it. You can open this stack using the "Open Example" button
on page 13 of the Independent Study tutorial. (Or you can open it directly:
Look in the Revolution folder, in
components/help/tutorials/exercises/Employee Database.rev.) Once you've
opened the Employee Database, take a look at its scripts (and look in the
Application Browser to see all its substacks).

The Employee Database isn't part of the Rev interface, but if you want to
look at a stack that is, turn on "Contextual menus work in Revolution
windows" in the Preferences dialog. This lets you use the contextual menu
shortcut (command-control-option-click, or control-alt-right-click), which
you can use to open the property inspector or script of any object in the
Revolution interface - including the docs windows - to take a look at them.
(Take a look at "How to investigate code in the development environment's
windows" in the docs for more info.)

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto ~ jeanne at runrev.com
Runtime Revolution Limited - Software at the Speed of Thought
http://www.runrev.com/