Arrays and custom properties

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Wed Aug 6 00:20:00 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 08:09  PM, Dar Scott wrote:

> Do I still save the stack?  Does the first use load it and then it
> stays loaded?  Does it save after every set to a property?

If you open the stack, write all of your custom properties (assuming
there is more than 1) to the stack as stack "stackName" then save the
stack and close it, it is faster that way instead of doing

set the myPropSet[key] of stack "/some/stack/that/is/not/open.rev" to X

Because that way presumably opens and closes the stack every time you
set a property. If the stack were encrypted, it would be even bigger
performance hit because opening/closing is just that more expensive.

> Both!  Well, I have figured I'd have to get into custom property sets
> eventually and I haven't been worried about that.  (I am confused by
> the comma.)

The comma I think was just to create the key name, same as this

put tID, tSomething into tKey -- key is "xxx,yyy"
get the myPropSet[tKey] of stack "mystack"

>  Do I have to use custom property sets to access properties from
> unopened files?

Good question. I would assume any and all properties could be accessed
the same way but haven't tried it.

> No matter how long I use Revolution I think I will always be learning.

Dar you could teach me about sockets, binary encoding, endian-ness and
a dozen other things and I'll teach you about custom properties :-)

Alex Rice, Software Developer
http://ARCplanning.com