DMOZ

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Aug 5 22:25:03 EDT 2003

>> I'm drafting a request to DMOZ to add a new "xTalk"  (a collective
>> term for Transcript, OpenScript, HyperTalk, SuperTalk, etc.)
>> category to the Open Directory.
>>
>> The question at hand is:  What would be the most appropriate catgory?
>> I was considering:
>>
>> <http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Languages/Scripting/>
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> What about:
> <http://dmoz.org/Computers/Programming/Development_Tools/>
>
> Sarah

That would be a good category for Revolution, but my interest at the moment
is in an xTalk category.  a category is a much larger thing than a single
entry in an existing category, which just about anyone can add.

As a public resource used by nearly every major search engine, DMOZ may be
less inclined to devote a whole category for every proprietary product.  But
xTalk is a non-proprietary family of languages, and as such might stand a
better chance of gaining entry.

By furthering the xTalk family of languages we help legitimize it against
unfair perceptions that it's specific to any single product.  Such
legitimization may be useful for helping both bean counters and hardened
Java junkies consider things like Transcript with an open mind.

Anyone who sees other xTalk implementations as competitors is thinking way
too small.  If we're successful it's not unreasonable to expect that we
could liberate at least 10% of the world's Java developers from the tedium
and lost productivity of their current workflow.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation