Scripts in Independent Study Tutorial - A Mini-Course

Monte Goulding monte at sweattechnologies.com
Mon Aug 4 23:32:01 EDT 2003

> Dan Shafer wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, August 3, 2003, at 04:22 PM, RIchard Gaskin wrote:
> >
> >> One thing that might be useful is an article on best practices for
> >> object
> >> structure as a compliment to the Scripting Style Guide at
> >> <http://www.fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/scriptstyle.html>.  Having
> >> already made many mistakes over the years*, I could hopefully jot down
> >> what
> >> I've found works well so others could avoid wasting time making the
> >> same
> >> mistakes I've made.
> >>
> > That's a good idea, I think. Your SSG is pretty interesting; I don't
> > always agree with you but I *do* think a system of some sort is
> > important!
>
> The current version of the SSG represents many changes over the
> years, with
> recent additions run through the list for feedback before publication.  If
> there's anything in there which seems ripe for revision let's talk; if the
> document is to be truly useful it will never be completely finished.

Hi Richard

I'd like to see a sub-section under naming conventions about script
libraries. I currently use the library name as a prefix for my library
handler names to avoid clashes and to clarify where the code is. For example
in libColor (filename libColor.rev) the main function is called
libColor_Convert. I notice that libURL does the same think but without the
_. I got the convention from Shao Sean's libSMTP.

There are also some handlers that are only called from within the library
and I don't want users to rely on them. I prefix them with priv. For
example: priv_libColor_ClosestMatchingColorName. It's all a bit long winded
but it serves the purpose.

Cheers

Monte