Getting Started and Getting Info

rcozens at pon.net rcozens at pon.net
Mon Aug 4 13:11:01 EDT 2003

Hi Tom,

>1. When your script executes "answer" or "ask," the dialog box (or
>whatever it's called)  comes up with a big, honkin' R for
>Revolution. How do I get rid of it? Actually my game is a fish game
>and I would really love to assign the fish image instead of the R.
>How can I do that?

Both ask & answer syntax include an optional first argument, iconType

 From Rev Dictionary:

"The iconType parameter is one of the following types: information,
question, error, or warning. The icon is displayed on the left side
of the dialog box. If you don't specify an icon, none is displayed."

So, if you are seeing an icon, I presume the first word after
ask/answer is in  " information, question, error, warning".  Remove
that word and the icon should be gone.

To make the icon a fish, your would have to determine where & how
Revolution resolves the image ids associated with " information",
"question",  "error",  and "warning" icons--I presume they are
different for different platforms--and replace them with yours if
this is possible.  It may turn out Rev uses system resources on each
platform, and therefore your changes would affect other applications.

>2. The "window" that appears when Rev executes "answer" or "ask"
>goes clean across the screen. Can I make it more compact in shape
>and size like in HyperCard? That'd be nice.

I believe the window tries to expand to fit the message line width.
If so, inserting returns to block your text into several short lines
will make the window narrower.  If this doesn't work, one can clone
the Rev ask/answer stacks and and create custom dialongs to
distribute with one's standalone.

>3. How do I get Rev to inspect itself completely for incompatible
>script? I suspect there is some left there because when I try to
>build a distribution version, it crashes with some dialog box
>flashing and I have to FORCE revolution to quit. Am I doing
>something wrong?

Whenever you press the <enter> key while editing a script, syntax is
checked and any errors are immediately reported.  If the Script
Editor closes the window without complaint, your syntax is OK.

It sounds to me like your standalone is looking for a stack or file
when opening and cannot find it.  Note, when running the Rev Dev
environment, the folder containing the Revolution app is the
defaultFolder until it is changed.  When your standalone starts up,
the folder it resides in is the defaultFolder.  One needs to take
this into account, especially in Mac OS X, where the application
bundle comes into play.

>4. By the way, the dialog box for creating the distribution file is
>cut off at the bottom and I can only see the tip top of three
>buttons to click. Only one is active and I've been clicking the
>barely visible sliver of that button, but I don't know its name
>because it's cut off. What gives?

There is a know (but undiagnosed) problem with screen window sizes
that appears to have something  to do with menus & Mac OS.  I can
open the Distribution Builder several times with no problem; but
sometimes when rebuilding a second or subsequent time the window will
shrink.
--
Rob Cozens, CCW
Serendipity Software Company

"And I, which was two fooles do so grow three.

 From "The Triple Foole"
by John Donne 1573-1631