Stacks Don't Launch, Hover/Option/Command doesn't work

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Aug 3 22:02:01 EDT 2003

On 8/3/03 5:44 PM, Thomas Cole wrote:

> Thanks for the help. I'm progressing.
>
> OSX
> 1. If I double click on my stack, it comes up as five zillion pages of text.
> I can only open it from WITHIN Rev. Then it runs fine. It has a darker icon
> than the stacks I made that still launch properly.

It sounds like the Finder doesn't know what app to open the stack with,
and so is trying to open it as text. Control-click on the stack in the
Finder to get the contextual menu, and after it is displayed, hold down
the Option key to see the "Always open with..." menu item. Choose that,
then choose Revolution as the app. From now on, the Finder will know to
open that stack with Revolution. (If Revolution isn't in the list of
choices, use the "Other" option at the bottom of the menu to choose Rev.)

> 2. Rev needs a forced quit each time I try to make a distribution. It
> flashes. I mentioned this before but I forgot to mention that finally it
> says it CAN'T FIND THE STACK. Then I must force quit. I made the tutorial
> distribution fine.

Well, you shouldn't have to force-quit and that part sounds like a bug.
But the reason it can't find the stack also sounds like it is related to
the above problem: the stack doesn't have the right creator and type
codes assigned, so Rev doesn't "see" it on disk. If the above doesn't
fix it, there are utilities available that will assign those codes.

> 3. Hovering the arrow over a button and pressing OPTION COMMAND gives no
> script. (I have to doubleclick the object and then get to the script that
> way. Big hassle.)

A sporadic but known bug. Sometimes just wiggling the cursor around a
little bit while holding Cmd-Opt will trigger the script to open. You
can get to the script other ways though. Click the object with the arrow
tool and then click the Script icon in the toolbar, for example.

> OPTION COMMAND C doesn't give card script either; nothing
> happens.

It's Shift, not option. Shift-Command-C to get to the card script;
shift-command-s to get the stack script. This is a struggle for me too,
because I've been using Command-Option-C/S for almost 18 years with both
HyperCard and MetaCard, and my muscle memory is very hard-wired by now.
I wish Rev hadn't changed it.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com