text-to-speech on WindowsXP

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 2 00:15:00 EDT 2003

--- Barry Levine <themacguy at macosx.com> wrote:
> I started a thread some time ago about
> text-to-speech options on
> Windows. No problem on the Mac (of course). I was
> just looking through
> my XP installation and found a Speech Control Panel
> in which there is a
> "voice" named "Microsoft Sam". When I selected it,
> it "speaks" (and
> highlights, word-by-word) a sentence in that Control
> Panel.
>
> Is there no way to attach to this in Rev? When I try
> the text-to-speech
> sample stack included with the Rev 2.0.1 folder (for
> Windows), it sees
> no voices available.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Barry

Hi Barry,

IIRC, it's on the to-do list. The Microsoft drones
managed to make the API for the WinXP text-to-speech
backward-_in_compatible.
So every application that used the earlier APIs,
including RevSpeech, has to be updated to support this
new API as well.

Hope this answered your question,

Jan Schenkel.

=====