[OT] UML Tools for developing Revolution projects

Igor Couto igor at pixelmedia.com.au
Fri Aug 1 19:14:02 EDT 2003

Dear Alex,

Thanks for the tip about the OmniGraffle mailing list!

On Saturday, August 2, 2003, at 08:18  AM, Alex Rice wrote:

> Have you searched the Omnigraffle mailing list for "UML"? AFAIK
> omnigraffle is scriptable and hyper-linkable. Maybe someone has
> implemented real UML support already using it's extensibility > features.

I did a search on the mailing list, and without looking too deeply into
the postings, it seems to me that even though people have been
mentioning the lack of some of the features necessary for FULL UML
diagramming since before version 2.0, they have been busy implementing
other more frequently requested functionality.

The workarounds that I was able to read about in the list only mention
the usual (half-) solutions that you and I already know about: grouping
objects together, using custom magnets, trying to fiddle with a bit of
AppleScript, etc.

My personal experience with all of these solutions is that once the UML
diagram starts to get to a *reasonable* (not overly large, mind you)
size, it already becomes too high-maintenance.  I have found that I'm
going back to the good'ol' whiteboard for doing most of my diagramming
(which annoys me to no end), using OmniGraffle only when I can see that
the diagram is more-or-less close to its final state... Altogether,
this is not a very professional way of working, and it really isn't
making good use of the computer... After all, it *should* be easier for
us to do these diagrams using a diagramming tool, than it is to do them
using a whiteboard!

I have written with suggestions to the OmniGraffle team. They are a
very friendly, polite and responsive bunch. Their priorities are,
however, dictated by the necessities of their market. Unless people let
them know that these features are widely needed, they will not give
them priority.

So, my suggestion to you, is that if you also find that you could do
with some extra UML-specific features, PLEASE drop the feedback team at
Omni a little message!

Once again, thank you for the suggestion!

Sincerely,

--
Igor de Oliveira Couto
igor at pixelmedia.com.au