Upgrading Substacks Only

Jim Biancolo webmaster at listology.com
Wed Apr 30 17:48:00 EDT 2003

Hi folks,

I was trying to figure out the best way to create an upgradable standalone
Rev app.  In toying with ways of separating data from presentation I
noticed that when I build a distribution that has separate substacks, the
main executable is around 1.5MB (on Windows) while the substacks are much
smaller.  This is true even when my mainstack is just a dummy stack that
invokes one of the substacks on startup.  This got me to wondering if I
could distribute the standalone EXE (and mainstack) as the engine, and then
just the substacks during upgrades?  This would greatly reduce the
bandwidth needed in distributing upgrades, it seems.

I did a successful test of this approach, but I'm wondering if there are
any downsides I'm not seeing?

Thanks!

Jim