opening a text file

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Apr 28 22:04:00 EDT 2003

erik hansen wrote:

> --- Wilhelm Sanke <sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de>
> wrote:
>> Try this:
>>
>> on mouseUp
>> answer file "Choose a textfile" with filter
>> "*.txt" # select a file
>> from a folder
>> put it into ChosenFile
>> #
>> i.e. path + file
>> put "file:"&Chosenfile into URLfile
>> # create format
>> for URL downloading
>> put URL URLfile into fld "Textdisplay"
>> end mouseUp
>
> i tried:
> answer file "Open Music:" with \
> "Macintosh HD/Desktop/music" \
> with filter "text file"
>
> and
>
> with filter "*.music"
>
> now i get into the folder but my text file is
> not (the visible of)!
>
> it becomes apparent why so much time is devoted
> to tedious file paths.

You're on a Mac.  Macs determine file types by hidden Finder info rather
than file name extensions:

 answer file "Open Music:" with \
   "Macintosh HD/Desktop/music" \
   of type "TEXT"

If you were doing this on Windows or UNIX you'd need to change your filter
to reflect the file type extension:

 answer file "Open Music:" with filter "*.txt"

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation