Build on Mac for Win and Icons for Win

Romain Lafourcade lafourcade.romain at numericable.fr
Wed Apr 16 11:33:01 EDT 2003

<lafourcade.romain at numericable.fr> wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>
> I'm working on Mac OS 8.6 and 9.2 with RR 1.1.1.
> My main project is supposed to be delivered on a
> CD-ROM, one app coming in
> two versions depending of the OS: Mac or Win, and I
> have a little side
> project that gives me troubles.
>
> It's a very light notepad made of a main standalone
> and a stack so that my
> girlfriend can save her notes. I have no problem
> with my Mac app (made only
> for testing) but the Win build (the real thing) is
> somewhat strange: when
> copied to my girlfriends PC, the stack and the
> standalone are both read-only
> and I have to uncheck the corresponding checkbox in
> both PROPERTIES
> palettes.
>
> Can someone tell me what's going on and what can be
> done?
>
> Actually, it's not a great trouble since this
> "writeable" property is set
> once and forever but...

Bonjour Romain,

The problem is with Windows itself : everything on a
CD-ROM is read-only, and when you copy a file off a
CD-ROM, it will set the read-only property to true.
What you can do from your standalone is use a dos
command to change the setting for the data-stack:
  get shell("attrib -r" && tFileName)
when you first open it -- I usually have a file named
'FIRSTRUN.YES' in the folder, which I delete after
having run any attrib commands.

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

=====
"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish at the same time."
(La Rochefoucauld)

----------

Thanks Jan and Klaus, as I said it's not such a big problem and I certainly
won't start learning DOS since it is not supposed to be distributed further
than the other corner of this room.
Anyway, I think that creating an installer for both platforms would be an
interesting exercise for me.

Something else...
Some days ago I answered to someone on the list about setting the App and
File icons for Windows with Resource Tuner on PC. My reply was a bit stupid
and I finally found out how to make such icons with Iconographer on Mac.

1) create a blank icon
2) make sure you work with the Windows 16 color palette
3) only edit the "Large 4-bit Icon" and "Large 1-bit Mask"
4) save your icon as a Windows Icon with ".ico"

The strange thing is that RR is supposed to need a 744 bytes icon but this
icon's size is 792 bytes and it is perfectly accepted by RR.

To get Iconographer, go to http://www.mscape.com

I hope this will be helpful for other dumb developer apprentices like me.
Romain