RR and QT (was Re: Speed of RR vs SuperCard)

Mark Talluto revlists at canelasoftware.com
Sun Apr 13 14:22:53 EDT 2003

On Sunday, April 13, 2003, at 02:19 AM, livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

> Well, I do understand at least intuitively what kind of stuff is going
> on while QT runs a movie (or any activity) - that's why I only try to
> allow the user to drag **stopped** movies. I reasoned that this would
> be no different for RR than moving an image object, since the movie
> mechanism itself would be suspended - in effect the key frame became a
> simple image in my idea of what was going on. Sadly this is clearly
> not the case. AFAIK the unique issue with RR is the fact that the
> buffered version of a player object ignores the masking, so you get no
> transparent areas. I am not sure why this decsion was made.
>
> Yes, it suffers only from the fact that when the movie stops, what the
> user sees may not be what my proposed 'pseudo key frame' looks like.
> In the application I'm working on now this doesn't matter much, but in
> principle it could matter a lot if different parts of the movie are
> very different (a talking head being replaced by a landscape, a static
> frame being replaced by some image of rapid motion etc). I don't know
> a way of quickly extracting the last frame to be shown and using that
> as an image, although I see that it might be possible, perhaps via
> screen shot.
>
> Thanks anyway for the good advice (as ever).
>
> Graham

Graham,

Could you take a controlled screen shot of the player at the moment it
is dragged around?  The hide the player and replace it with the screen
shot.  When the user drops the screen shot (thinking it is the player),
the screen shot is hidden and replaced with the player.

Just another possibility maybe.

Best regards,
Mark Talluto
http://www.canelasoftware.com