Poor man's encrypted data

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Sat Apr 5 21:19:01 EST 2003

I made this script for fun once, and transmit it as yet another
somewhat secure method (yassm). Use if you want to, but beware of the
shortness of the randomSeed, its only integer, so you only use the
first 4 to 5 chars of the password with this. Also the size of the data
increases a lot. The method uses a random number which you can change
in addition to the password; both must match to decrypt the info again.
I never tried binary data with this.

--encryption button:
on mouseUp
   --transform password to a number
   repeat for each char theChar in field "password"
     put chartonum(theChar) after password
   end repeat
   --set the random generator to it (only first 4 to 5 chars matter)
   set the randomSeed to password
   --translate each char to a number
   repeat for each char theChar in field "input"
   --field "randomNumber" is a previously set number
     put ( random(field "RandomNumber")  + chartonum(theChar)) & return
after theEncoded
   end repeat
   --output
   put theEncoded into field "encrypted"
end mouseUp

--decryption:
on mouseUp
   repeat for each char theChar in field "password"
     put chartonum(theChar) after password
   end repeat
   set the randomSeed to password
   repeat for each line theLine in field "encrypted"
     put numtochar(theLine - random(field "RandomNumber")) after
theDecoded
   end repeat
   put theDecoded into field "decrypted"
end mouseUp