Variable convention questions

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Sep 27 10:28:00 EDT 2002

On Friday, September 27, 2002, at 06:36 AM,
Fred_D_Yocum at mail.mcc.org wrote:

> It seems logically inconsistent to create variable simply by
> placing it after
> "repeat for each line". Why does it work?

This occurs in English.

"For any number X there exists its complement -X."

If we borrow from English it would seem that creating a variable
would be natural.  (Of course, one might argue that the scope
should be within the repeat and it would act like a constant
through each cycle if we push the English model.)

Transcript will create local variables as needed for most but all cases.

(Others on the list are better qualified to comment on style.)

Dar Scott