Speed

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Sep 18 00:07:01 EDT 2002

On Tuesday, September 17, 2002, at 06:37 PM, Jim Hurley wrote:

> Now I'm sure my handler, identifyUniqueAddresess, is not the most
> efficient code, but my question is this:  Why does the handler run
> so much more rapidly working on several smaller chunks which are
> later reassembled rather than all at once?
>
> I suspect the problem may be successively pulling up lines of text
> from a very long list of lines. Would it help if I first put the
> lines into an array and then worked with the array?

Are you referring to lines by number?  I wonder whether that would
require counting lines from the front every time.  Removing or
changing lines in the middle?  You might be better off consuming
lines from the front of the list and appending consolidated lines
to the end of another list.

The array idea sounds good, too.

Well, to my naive mind, anyway.

Dar Scott