Distributing Rev Stacks (was The age of user-translatable applications...

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Thu Sep 12 13:14:00 EDT 2002

>I'm not at all sure what single format could be used

Troy, et al:

IMFO, the situation almost audibly cries out for a
Transcript/MetaTalk solution:

An app that creates a single file containing all the folders/files in
a specified folder, compresses it, translates it (if necessary) to
'Net-safe characters, and can unbundle such a file at the other end.
Such an app could probably serve as an installer as well.

It doesn't seem like too big a job at first blush...cycling through
all nested folders and files is probably the most difficult task.  I
could live with a restriction to one or two levels of nested folders.

I am shifting my focus from Serendipity Library to rewriting my
HyperCard application, OenoLog; so I don't have the time to pursue
this personally (except possibly participating in a group effort).  I
would be willing to pay for such a utility if it were available.

Since we can write one stack that will run on various platforms, it
would be nice to be able to create one file that could deliver our
work (at least individual stacks and associated files) to all
supported platforms.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company