Distributing Rev Stacks (was The age of user-translatable applications...

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Thu Sep 12 12:07:00 EDT 2002

Rob,

> On Macs .sit files are NOT acceptable, because .sits are version
> specific: if the downloader has the wrong version of StuffIt, the
> archive won't expand.  So I use self-expanding archives (.sea);
> however .seas don't always get downloaded correctly, whereas I have
> NEVER had a downloader report a problem with BinHexed files.

I used to have than problem too, until I discovered that if you add a .bin
at the end of the .sea, it downloads just fine - like 'myapp.sea.bin'. The
browser strips off the .bin during the download and deposits the 'myapp.sea'
file on the desktop (or wherever the download location is). In general, I
usually provide .sea and .exe files, and let the user click on the "download
for mac" or "download for windows" links.

Just my 0.02,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com