many small or 1 big?

mark mitchell cowhead at mac.com
Sun Sep 8 11:42:01 EDT 2002

I wonder if I might get the lists input on an overall design question.
I've been making dozens of little applications.  This comes from the
hypercard mindset, wherein you have a single player and then you can
have all the separate stacks you want.  The problem with revolution was
that stacks alone did not run so well without the development
environment fired up.  So as I made stacks, I converted them to
standalones.  This was working fine, but I had envisioned that I would
one day make a single "table of contents" app, that could be used to
organize, explain and launch all the little apps.  As I went along
however, I realized I sometimes had 4 or 5 of these little apps running,
and they must each be using an identical engine and wasn't that silly
when they could all be using the same?  So I made a single 'table of
contents' standalone and stuck all the former app data stacks in it.
But now I'm not sure which was really better, this 1 big, or the
previous many little?

1 Big conserves ram, as it only loads one engine, but now (and I'm
putting my foot in my mouth here) I really DO have to worry about my
globals meshing, don't I?  With many little apps, I could use the same
global names for each with narry a worry or care.  Also, many littles
seems like a nice fail-safe.  If something goes wrong with one, the
others are nice and isolated.  This is not so important for me now, but
in the future I may try to sell or license this package, and such a
fail-safe would be nice in that event.  I mean, if I was programming for
the space-shuttle, I would definitely go with many littles.  The savings
in HD space for the 1 BIG method is laughable these days (I just bought
an 80 GB HD for $150) and the savings in RAM is rapidly becoming
laughable.  Many littles also allows you to use Apple's DOC to switch
between the apps, which can be nice.  So what to do?  1 big with it's
globals headaches and less safety, or many littles which sometimes seems
silly?

Thanks to all for any input on this,

mark mitchell
Japan