Privatizing Custom Properties

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Sep 7 15:38:01 EDT 2002

misc das wrote:

> "The thing that's a little strange, syntactically, is the setProp
> handler. The docs define this as a "construct" rather than a handler..."
>
> I find it interesting that RR would define this as a "construct", when MC
> calls it a Handler. From the MC Help:
> "You can write a setprop handler to catch this message... Note that when you
> set an object's property from within a setprop handler, setprop messages are
> not sent."
>
> So, perhaps RR and MC take a different stance on where the setprop/getprop
> "constructs" belong in the grand scheme of things.

Handlers begin with "on" (e.g., "on mouseUp").  GetProp is used very
differently: "getProp myProperty".

I don't know that there is a specific word for that.

Generically it is a construct, but what isn't?  Attempting to describe it as
a handler stretches the rules a bit, but perhaps not inappropriately.

What would you call it?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation