A Word To The Wise
rcozens at pon.net
Thu Sep 5 13:12:13 CDT 2002
I just spent considerable time and mental energy trying to find the
solution to a problem I caused myself.
I have found it is more efficient to maintain one mouseUp handler for
a group of navigation buttons than to maintain handlers in the
scripts of the individual buttons. This is easy enough to do using a
switch control based on the short name of the target; so when it
became necessary to add new functionality to mouseUp handlers in an
old button group I consolidated the mouseUp handlers of the
individual buttons into one handler in the group's script.
When testing both the new and old functionality, I found myself in a
situation where individual buttons were displayed as enabled/disabled
but no enabled button would respond to mouseUp. When I put a trace
in the group mouseUp script, the results showed that while I was
clicking on an enabled button, the target of the mouseUp passed to
the group was the card itself.
To make a long story short, I found that I hand neglected to change
"disable/enable me" in some of the imported button scripts to
"disable/enable button (the short name of the target)". Even though
some buttons were enabled, they would not respond to mouseUp because
the group had disabled itself...with no visual indication this was so.
CCW, Serendipity Software Company
"And I, which was two fooles, do so grow three;
Who are a little wise, the best fooles bee."
from "The Triple Foole" by John Donne (1572-1631)
More information about the use-livecode