text in fields (CR/LF, CR, LF) which is correct?

Kee Nethery kee at kagi.com
Mon Sep 2 15:31:00 EDT 2002

>These are good ideas, Kee!
>
>I think some clarification at the linefeed entry would be helpful,
>especially to those coming from some other background than another
>'card.
>
>Perhaps your ideas will help RunRev folks in improving the docs.
>
>My nit-picking comments are below.

excellent comments, I am of course not an expert on how Revolution
deals with line endings.

>On Monday, September 2, 2002, at 01:33 PM, Kee Nethery wrote:
>
>>I'd change the last paragraph in the dictionary entry to read:
>>
>>The line feed character is the standard end-of-line delimiter for
>>text files on Unix systems. The end-of-line delimiter for text
>>files on Mac OS systems is a carriage return, and the end-of-line
>>delimiter for text files on Windows systems is a carriage return
>>followed by a line feed.
>
>>For all these operating systems, within a Revolution text field the
>>end-of-line delimiter is always a line feed.
>
>(Virtually, so.  That is, when we put to or from we see linefeed; we
>have no idea what's going on on the inside.)
>
>The use of linefeed is throughout all of Revolution, not just in
>fields.  Generated text such as pendingMessages() may contain
>linefeeds.  Chunks may be lines.  These may never see a field.
>

>>For all these operating systems, when text from a field is saved
>>into a text file, the end-of-line delimiter within Revolution is
>>converted to the platform specific end-of-line delimiter for text
>>files.
>
>I think "written" might be more Rev than "saved".  Also, perhaps
>this should emphasize writing to a file opened in text _mode_.  (If
>I write to a "text file" using binary mode, the conversion will not
>happen.)
>
>>Any math performed on the individual characters within a Revolution
>>text field will not produce the same result when the text is saved
>>into a text file on Mac OS or Windows because the end-of-line
>>characters in the text file will differ from the end-of-line
>>characters within the text field.
>
>Do you mean something like a checksum or digest or length?

yes. We do registration codes for people and in many cases, we do
math operations on the text data for the three reasons you just
mentioned. The numbers have to match for the reg code to work
properly.

Kee Nethery