Icons on OS X

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Sep 1 18:43:01 EDT 2002

Troy Rollins wrote:

> On Sunday, September 1, 2002, at 06:07  PM, Monte Goulding wrote:
>
>> How do we associate icons with file types and standalones on OS X. I
>> went
>> through some
>> archives and found a discussion on it including Troy and Tony but it
>> seemed
>> to give up. Rev does it and I'm sure others have done it by now so there
>> must be a way.
>>
>> Perhaps Scott or Kevin might want to shed some light on this????
>
> That would be great, Monte, since for my part the process fizzled out. I
> cannot seem to reliably get my documents to launch and open in their Rev
> parent applications. We have tried the Apple events route, and have not
> had 100% results. It seems a shame that one cannot assign document types
> in the builder (sort of the way RealBasic does.) But if it must be done
> manually, I'd love to get a sure-fire recipe.

OS X associations are contained in a plist, which can either be a resource
or part of a package.

With the MC 2.4.2 engine and earlier (thus also Rev 1.1), modifying the
resource of type 'plst" ("Property LiST") is the simplest way.

The MC 2.4.3 engine requires working with packages, so be advised you'll
need to update any automated build systems.

The "Anatomy of a Bundle" article at Apple's dev site is useful:
<http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/macosx/CoreFoundation/BundleServices/Bu
ndle_Services_Concepts/Concepts/CFBundle-9.html>

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation