How do I trap the "text insertion point"?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Wed Oct 23 21:22:01 EDT 2002

Alan,

How about:

1) set the traversalOn of the button to false -- so it doesn't take the
focus away from the field

2) have the button say either:

-- "field 1" is your field and "the myProp of this card" is your custom
property

on mouseUp
  if the selectedChunk of field 1 is not empty then
    type (the myProp of this card)
  end if
end mouseUp

This has the effect of "typing" the text so you see it show up one character
at a time. If this is too slow, you can do:

on mouseUp
  if the selectedChunk of field 1 is not empty then
    put (the myProp of this card) before char (word 2 of the selectedChunk)
of field 1
  end if
end mouseUp

Hope this helps,