How do I trap the "text insertion point"?

Alan Gayne alanIra9 at mac.com
Wed Oct 23 18:30:01 EDT 2002

Hi all!

I've been trying to emulate the Quickeys "Type Text" function - i.e. to
be able to click on a button and have the text that has been stored as a
custom property inserted at that place in a field where the text
insertion iBeam is located.  The only problem with this is that I can't
seem to find a way to find out the location of the iBeam so I cn tell
rev to put my text there.

I would suspect that the iBeam insertion point is a system property
since Quickeys is able to insert text into any open application with an
editable field and such a basic property must be readily available to
every open application, including the RunRev script editor.
Nevertheless, after spending hours looking through the transcript
dictionary (for which a simple index would be REALLY helpful) I can't
seem to locate any function that either reports this property and
converts it to a location usable by RunRev.

It seems like this has GOT to be something simple but I'll be darned if
I can find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Alan