31142 lines/cards/records

Ken Norris (dialup) pixelbird at interisland.net
Tue Oct 22 18:09:01 EDT 2002

on 10/22/02 12:02 PM, Richard Gaskin at ambassador at fourthworld.com wrote:

> Ken Norris (dialup) wrote:
>
>> on 10/22/02 9:05 AM, Dar Scott at dsc at swcp.com wrote:

>>> Is there a particular reason why arrays are not on your list?  Does this
>>> mean you have no field (combination) that is unique?  Are there operations
>>> you need that arrays can't do well?
>>>
>>> I'm not really advocating arrays.  I'm too green to do that.  It's just I
>>> wouldn't have thrown out arrays as candidates.
>> ----------
>> Arrays would work for indexing or searching, but not for storage. When you
>> close, variable contents are not saved.
>
> You can save them as properties in an object.
> One more reason I love using stack files for data storage.
----------
Now there's something I didn't expect. I like it. Yea Rev!

Now I'm interested too. I'm also a fan of using data stacks, but they do
have some drawbacks.

I'm having a bit of trouble visualizing this. How does it work? How do you
efficiently search and edit object properties?

I haven't tried a 'find' in Rev, but in HC it's very fast in fields across a
stack. If you have some kind of idea where you're going, you can use it with
indexes. I've never seen an array search that even comes close.

TIA,
Ken N.