stack trace vs. pending messages, etc.

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto jeanne at runrev.com
Fri Oct 18 00:21:01 EDT 2002

At 7:27 PM -0700 10/17/2002, Alex Rice wrote:
>What about a stack trace? Does Revolution have anything like that? It
>it possible to generate a stack trace from transcript?

Not yet (short of putting handlers everywhere in the message path to record
where a message has been). However, the upcoming version will have a much
improved debugger, and I believe you'll be able to get a stack trace out of
it.

You can use the target function to find out which object was the first to
receive the message, and use the owner property to trace the normal message
path up from that object. So you can sort of do this in Transcript already
- but this won't account for unusual situations where the dynamic path is
in use, where you use send to transfer a message around, etc.

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto ~ jeanne at runrev.com
http://www.runrev.com/