ftp download error "not a plain file"

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Oct 17 16:23:01 EDT 2002

Aloha, Dave,

OK, I checked permissions:

  rwx-rw -r

So, anyone can read the file.

  What's more... I can open an FTP client,
(I am using oXigen now on OSX ... really fast)

Enter

the same HOST, USER, PASS and PATH and download the file, no problem.

But, if I try that in Rev... I get the same message:

>> error  550 /Public/Sheela/New-Not Yet
>> Posted/9-19-02_Mauritius_Trip_Talks.txt: not a plain file.

so at this point it would definitely appear to be a libURL problem...
"but wait... there's more!"

test: If I change the server to our ISP's host server in Honolulu
(SPARC Solaris) and run the same scripts... it works... the same script
which is failing to fetch a file from our server in the other room over
the LAN (OSXServe running on a G4 with FTP enabled) will download a
file from Honolulu... both  files are simple text files, both have the
same permissions.

So an FTP client can download from our server but libURL can't. Other
operations... get directory listings, upload, RNFR  RNTO etc. all work
fine.

Can I do anything to log events to give you a more detailed look into
exactly what is failing?

Thanks for your cheerful help!