Startkit limitations for stacks already containing long scripts

WordWork wordwork at c2i.net
Wed Oct 16 00:19:00 EDT 2002

on 16-10-02 05:56, Sannyasin Sivakatirswami at katir at hindu.org wrote:

> IF
> THEN: Can she then create objects, cards, buttons, fields and add new
> scripts with ten lines or less and  edit scripts of objects that have
> less than ten lines? i.e. the original working document is 'beyond" the

> I want to be up front about staying within the "ethical" parameters of
> the educational license, but i can't justify purchasing more
> educational "seats" for these volunteers

> by then its a tool they know and love

I shall be most interested in replies to this post.  In the (long-distant)
past I was part of a research group (Language Development and HyperMedia
Research Group, University of Ulster, Coleraine, Northern Ireland, for those
who may be interested - but it's dead now) which investigated children's use
of the computer in the classroom. We used Hypercard (from version 1.??!!)
both to build our research tool, and to allow the children a "building
environment" for their own development.  It was fantastic, and gave them
many benefits, short- and long- term: manipulation of text, sound and pics;
collaboration; sense of achievment; development of lanugage skills; etc,
etc, etc.  And it was all free, therefore schools (at all academic levels)
could use it.  Problem: only for MAC, and scorned by PC population!!!

For years I have longed for something similar which was cross-platform, and
at last discovered Rev.  What a dream come true.  But the restraints with
the script limitations in the starter kit seem to me to be too restrictive.
I know that a clever programmer can reduce scripts to an absolute minimum,
but children can't manage that to begin with.  I'd like them to have the
opportunity to "build" even though their cumbersome scripting may be much
longer than 10 lines.  Educational licenses are still expensive for schools
with classes of young primary school children.

I am now a part-time English teacher at a teachers training college in
Norway, and would LOVE to have a Rev project going on in one of the many
schools I have who are interested in using IT in schools.  But I can't go on
a 10 line limitation!

Anyone else out there with comments, on- or off- line.  Perhaps from the
owners and developers of Rev.

Cheers, and thanks to all contributors for a great list.

--
Bill Gray
WordWork
epost: wordwork at c2i.net