How real is the embedded web-page technique?

Dan Shafer dan at danshafer.com
Fri Oct 11 12:58:01 EDT 2002

At 9:26 PM -0400 10/10/02, Richard Gaskin wrote:
>Jim Biancolo wrote:
>
>>  I agree that an embedded rendering engine would be a killer feature.
>
>I'v gotten so accustmed to using the browser as a helper app that I think
>I'm missing something:
>
>What are the advantages of putting a browser inside on your app's window?
>What sort of apps are you folks making?

The interface in a Web browser sucks. It's too primitive and limited
to real application development. But the content with which
interaction takes place and the display of that content are done very
well by the WEb browser's HTML rendering engine, so that's the wheel
I don't want to reinvent.

By way of example, I have a client for whom I've built an interactive
Web site. Using this site, my client (a therapist with a unique
approach to problem-solving) has *his* clients fill out some basic
HTML forms to store information in a series of dynamically generated
HTML documents. Then later we retrieve information from those
documents to print reports for my client and his staff.

Using client-side JavaScript, I could improve the UI on the Web app
somewhat, but I'd still be constrained. For example, looping over a
list of documents meeting some title criteria and displaying a
clickable list of them is pretty hairy and gets me into some
cross-browser issues I don't even like to think about.

But if I could develop a custom application for my client in which
the user forms are displayed in Rev and uploaded and in which the UI
is a hybrid of the stand-alone app (with, if you will, a control
skin) and the nicely rendered HTML information in the main pane, I'd
get the best of both worlds.

Now I *could* do this by developing a screen scraper or a remote
database access approach. But that requires a rewrite of the program
and essentially takes the browser out of the loop, something with
which my client isn't comfortable. Sometimes he needs to be able to
access data when he's not on his computer (where the app will
presumably reside).

I see lots of opportunity out there to create apps like this that
display rendered and interactive HTML in a pane with supplemental
controls and an improved UI embodied in the desktop app. In fact, I
think this represents an important direction for software development.

FWIW, I think the Mozilla engine would be absolutely the best choice
for this project and it has the added advantages that it's free and
open source.
--
Dan Shafer