Revolution vs. REALbasic

Troy Rollins troy at rpsystems.net
Tue Oct 8 21:08:01 EDT 2002

On 10/8/02 9:26 PM, "Richard Gaskin" <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

>> I've read the promo material but would love to hear from real
>> developers.  Can anyone tell me why I should choose Revolution over
>> REALbasic?  Advantages and disadvantages?  Much appreciated.  Jeff
>
> The short answer is that Rev, being a typeless and slightly higher-level
> language, usually offers greater programmer productivity.

I'm currently using both (and iShell, too!!). And I have good things to say
about all three - so it depends on what you are trying to do. For me, it
comes down to a few key details for each -

Revolution -
Assets: Powerful, good hardware, system and network communication and very
fast to develop in, extremely easy to learn language
Limitations: Few plugins, limited control of "look and feel"

RealBasic-
Assets: Very Powerful, excellent hardware, system and network communication,
many many available plugins, better control of "look and feel", 3D and
sprites
Limitations: Much slower than Rev to get results, more syntax oriented -
more complex language

And, for what it's worth - iShell-
Assets: Extremely good control of "look and feel", Extremely fast to develop
in, Remarkable media handling, Great network support (within limits)
Limitations: Poor hardware and system connectivity (abstracted by design),
few plugins or plugin developers, limited use for "utility apps"

For my company, each project is examined to determine where it fits within
these guidelines, and the authoring environment is selected which best fits
the project requirements. Each environment has its strengths. Now, when Rev
2.0 comes out...??

Basically, with RealBasic at one end of the spectrum, and iShell at the
other - Rev sits rather neatly between the two.

I hope that helps some.
--
Troy
RPSystems, Ltd.